Skip to main content

2012 Goals

I am super excited for 2012!  2011 was kind of a sucky year so I am looking forward to good things this year.  I have lots of goals for the blog and for books I plan to read.  I also have some personal goals for the year that I hope I will be able to achieve.

Goals for the Blog:

-Comment more-I get lazy and don't always comment on reviews I read nor do I usually reply to comments on my blog.  I feel really bad about this and want to try to comment more.
-Work on layout
-Technical Stuff-I really need to figure out how to create a button!  I also need to get some working knowledge of html and need to learn how reconfigure things so that when GFC goes away there won't be too many issues.
-Better Reviews-As I said on Friday, my reviews have been pretty crappy lately.  I plan to work on that this year.
-Hosting a giveaway-I have great followers and I really want to host a giveaway to show my appreciation.
-Get more comfortable with social media-A lot of blogs are tied to twitter and facebook pages so I need to explore this option.
-Include more personal posts-This is always going to be a book blog but I don't think it would hurt if I included some non book related posts.

Goals for Reading:

-I have signed up for 4 challenges (more info can be found here):
    -Historical Fiction challenge
    -Back to the Classics challenge
    -Support your Local Library challenge
    -TBR Pile Challenge
With these four challenges, I have committed to reading 63 books this year.  That's pretty doable.  I am not setting a reading goal for the year because I don't want the added pressure.
-Focus on reading books I already own -  There are currently 81 books on my shelf that I have not read.  I know that I won't be able to get through all of them this year as many are HUGE but I would like to make a significant dent in this pile.
-Read at least one non-fiction book a month-This won't be hard as several of the books I included in the TBR Pile Challenge are non-fiction and many of the books I own and haven't read are non-fiction.
-Read two books in Russian-My Russian language skills are in the toilet right now and I know that if I don't start working on them again, I will be in big trouble.  I have read the first two Harry Potter books in Russian so I will probably pick up the third.  I also own a Russian copy of Twilight so I might pick that up too.

Personal Goals:

-Run a 1/2 Marathon in April-I cannot believe I am actually putting this out there but I have wanted to run a 1/2 marathon for a long time.  I used to be an avid runner but have kind of tapered off in the past year.  I'm turning 29 in a few weeks and I guess I just want to do something cool before I turn 30.  I started training for one a few years ago but a bad case of the stomach flu knocked me off track and I never got back on it.  I am so scared that I won't be able to cut it but I have set up a training schedule that I plan to implement this week so wish me luck.
-Eat Better-I will be honest, I don't eat anywhere near enough fruits and veggies.  I would like to slowly add more of them into my diet this year.
-Set up some savings-We are moving to a bigger place this summer and moving is expensive!  I would like to have a fund set up so that the move isn't traumatic financially.  I got some major credit card debt paid off in 2011 so I think I should be able to save some money.
-Reevaluate my work situation-I changed jobs over the summer thinking I would be moving to a better position.  Despite the pay being better, my new job is suckier than the old one.  I really need to be thinking about what I want to do in regards to my career (or lack thereof).

So that's it.  I know a lot of these goals are ambitious and I may not achieve them but I will try.  What are your goals for 2012?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?