Skip to main content

Review: "Iced" by Karen Marie Moning

From Goodreads:  Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.
My Thoughts:  Oh, how I have missed the Fever series!!  Despite the fact that Mac and Barrons play very secondary roles in this book, it was still great to get back to some familiar characters like Dani, Christian and Ryodon.  The story continues in Dublin after the wall fell and is definitely action packed.  The story moved fast and kept my interest (I couldn't put it down!) but I kind of wish it hadn't been so long since I read the Fever series because there was a lot I had forgotten. 

Dani is still pretty immature but is working hard to kill all the Unseelie she can.  I like Dani but at times it was kind of difficult to be stuck in her head for 90% of the book.  I do love her sense of humor; her sarcasm and attitude cracks me up!    Ryodon is a minor character from the Fever series who plays a big role in Iced.  It's been a while since I read Shadowfever so I don't remember much about Ryodon from the series but I must say that I absolutely loved him in this book.  He was tough as nails but had a sarcastic, humorous side.  At times he was kind of a jerk but there was something kind of endearing about him and he was my favorite character in the book.  Christian MacKeltar also shows up in this book but he was not one of my favorites.  He was a super creepy stalker guy; at times he seemed normal and then all of the sudden he would be a total nut job.  I liked him a lot in previous books but as he slowly became Unseelie, he became less likable.

There were a few aspects of the book that I didn't love but overall, I really enjoyed it.  There was a serious cliffhanger at the end of the book so now I can't wait to read the next one!  I have a feeling we'll get to see more of Mac!  I would recommend reading the Fever series before picking up Iced because there was a lot that wouldn't make sense without that background.  4 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?