Skip to main content

Review: "A Clash of Kings" by George R.R. Martin

From Goodreads:  ...A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and wartime. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment—a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.

My Thoughts:  I finished A Game of Thrones over the summer and finally picked up A Clash of Kings because I was missing the characters so much!  It was nice to pick it up and see a bunch of familiar faces.

The story is told through the eyes of Davos, Theon Greyjoy, Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark, Catelyn Stark, Daenarys Targaryen and Jon Snow.  Tyrion seemed to be the main focus of this book and boy, was he busy!  I loved to seem him get his sister all riled up and it was pretty awesome when he gave Joffrey a beat down.  I liked Tyrion from the first book but I wavered in this book between liking and disliking him.  I think the dislike comes purely from the fact that he is a Lannister and those people can't be trusted.  Arya and Jon Snow factored pretty heavily into this story as well but whenever I read about them I can't help but feel anxious.  I keep thinking something big is going to happen to them and I can't wait to see what it is!

I must say that I wasn't super excited by some of the characters in this book.  We get to know more about Theon Greyjoy in this book and I was not impressed.  He is an arrogant jerk who isn't as smart as he thinks he is.  I also didn't care much for Davos.  I don't remember him from the first book and I didn't feel like I really got to know him in this book.  He was mainly used to allow the reader to see what kind of shenanigans Stannis Baratheon was up to.  And my last complaint is about Dani.  I loved her sections in the first book but my goodness, she was boring in this one.  I got tired of reading about her wandering through the desert with her ragtag bunch of Dothraki.

While I didn't love A Clash of Kings as much as A Game of Thrones, it was still a really good book and I am very eager to read the third book in the series now.  4 stars.

Comments

  1. I just finished this two days ago. I also liked the first book better, Dani was very boring in this one. I am still excited to read the next one, I cannot wait to find out what happens to everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?